Led by Provost Garzahd Aetherflame, the Academy of Applied Science is a newcomer to the intellectual scene. Two years ago, the Academy was founded as a private institution to
uphold the traditional methods of rational inquiry, while simultaneously promoting a shift in outlook to the pragmaticism of modern Arborea. Knowledge without application is useless. This mission has made the Academy a key player in the Federation, providing much-needed insights into the past while also remaining on the cutting edge in developing technologies with which to combat the Argon threat.
Students at the Academy are instructed in all the major arts and sciences via hands-on demonstrations at a variety of research sites throughout Arborea, and are instructed in the proper procedures for scientific cataloguing of recovered specimens, relics and artifacts. Since the answers to the future may often be found in the past, the Academy prides itself on its archaeological excellence, having recovered over 200 major artifacts of significant value in the past month alone, from sites in Val Aureum, Westonia, and Ostgarath.
Besides the everyday instruction of it's students, the Academy seeks to use its resources and knowledge to benefit the members of the Valkyon Federation. Never forgetting that the best defense is a good offense, the Academy sends its students and faculty to the forefront of the battles that rage across each continent, bringing their invaluable expertise and practical skills to the aid of beleaugered Federation soldiers. Be it peacetime or war, the Academy will be there to apply science to the challenges facing the world.
OUR MISSION (OOC):
We at the Academy of Applied Science believe in extending the opportunities that Arborea has to offer to all players. What this means for you, is that we value you, the everyman. Not everyone has the time or resources necessary to reach the highest level of play that TERA has to offer. We understand that. We want to encourage the ability of small guilds, groups of friends, and casual players to have their voice heard. If you speak up, you can make your voice be heard.
The Academy is a small guild, founded by a group of friends playing together. We're here to have fun, and also to make sure everyone else has fun too. Don't let the overwhelming spectre of larger guilds make you feel compelled to bow to them out of default. Elect that black horse candidate. Elect those guild leaders of small, heavy roleplay guilds to the Vanarchy. Do not stand idly by, taking no interest in the politics of the world, because that just enables the rigged voting that you resent. Speak with your vote. We stand for maintaining a diverse and interesting play experience on Celestial Hills, and promoting a rich and accomplished roleplay community.
The Provost has relocated the main campus of the Academy on-site to Val Aureum in the Colossal Ruins, to facilitate the research and excavation of the giant relics in the region. However, this area remains overrun by remnants of Lokian cultists, as well as several large wild predators and even ancient giant machines. In order to facilitate the progress of knowledge in this as-of yet under-studied field, and protect researchers and citizens alike from the perils of the desert, the Academy of Applied Science has nominated Provost Garzahd Aetherflame to the running for the position of Vanarch in the region.
Tangibly, what the Provost seeks to accomplish while Vanarch is the following:
1) Open access to all special services, trainers, and brokers in the towns of Chebika and Tulufan. The Academy knows that the greatest friend of both an adventurer and a scientist is having access to a large pool of resources. All of these services will remain open as often as possible.
2) Maintain a fair and balanced tax rate in the region. The Academy is wise enough to know that basic economics renders minimalist tax rates unfeasible for long-term sustainability. Thus, the Provost will enact a flat 10% rate that is easy to calculate and will never waver. Consistency is a key part of the scientific process, and it shall be applied to all aspects of the Provost's Vanarchy.
3) Protection for aspiring adventurers in the region. Though the threats in the region are not nearly as dangerous to seasoned veterans, greenhorns may find themselves in over their head. The Provost will strive to make sure that there is always at least one senior researcher or official around to aid anyone with accomplishing their goals or quests in the region.
4) Promoting the study of the world of Arborea. The Academy will host a weekly trivia and history contest in the town of Chebika, with substantial prizes being distributed to the winners. The Academy values higher learning and feels that those that pursue knowledge on their own initiative should be rewarded.
5) Promoting transparency in the workings of the Academy. All policy meetings will be announced over the area's Aethernet mental broadcast system, and will be open to the general public to come and observe. Furthermore, the Academy will host several open-house events at its campus, where would-be applicants as well as fellow researchers, or anyone else interested in the work of the Academy may come visit, sit down with the faculty and students, and engage in meaningful dialogue. Refreshments will also be made available.
6) Maintaining a bastion of free thought. The Academy is dedicated to the free flow of information. Citizens and visitors alike are free to speak their mind anywhere in the region without fear of suppression or retribution. We intend to turn Chebika and Tulufan into public forums of discussion where information may be freely exchanged.
7) Mutual recognition. Supporters of the Academy will be given honorable mention in our discourses. Any organization that supports the unhindered pursuit of knowledge is a pillar of the world community and deserves to be lauded and lent support in return.
The Academy of Applied Science is relying on you to aid it in promoting a free-thinking, beneficial and safe environment in the province of Val Aureum. In doing so, you advance the cause of the entire Federation and bring us one step closer to defeating the argon menace. Vote for Garzahd during election week!
Edited by: Garzahd over 1 year ago - Reason: Formatting.