On the NHN Announcement in KR

Slubber Profile Options #11

Friendly
Zdravko Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
Aman Warrior
Minea please enjoy your Christmas weekend and spend less time on the forums.

But when you return, please assure us we won't get P2W garbage because as loyal as I have been I will leave, most of your friendly faces on these forums would dissapear.

Cosmetics have proven to be extremely profitable and the fact we can trade cosmetics on the AH for gold increases their value exponentially.

People hate subscription, its some sort of taboo, but those people who arent willing to pay subscriptions will blow loads in a STRICTLY cosmetic cash shop.

I know people who spend hundreds on cosmetics/race changes, that wont change when you go f2p, youll get more people who do play the game who are willing to spend hundreds on the cash shop but wont pay for a sub, people dont like being forced to spend money, but they will spend money.

So please...stay cosmetic if you go F2P...I beg you.
Kinrae Profile Options #12

Free to play is a thing. It's not a good thing and it's not a bad thing.

A publisher will go Free to play because they believe their product is not worth selling. In my honest opinion every free to play game I have ever played I have given zero [filtered]s about. Freemium games are just fine and NA-TERA is freemium with the current model. I see many players signing up for TERA after playing to level 28. While it will result in MORE players I don't believe it will result in more paying customers.

To the men and women who work at our own producer: If you are considering a shift to Free to play. Then don't, it will kill all my emotional attachment to this game and open the flood gates, as it were, to a breed of players who are best described as unsavory.

Aion made that shift to Free to play and it quickly went to hell. P.S. It's not doing so well either.
Meiyasan Profile Options #13

I hope the only thing we're getting in January isn't just 'more information'...
shyrofox Profile Options #14

Trusted
Selkie Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
Elin Mystic
So, um, I hate to be that guy, but...

Can we have some mystic balancing this year, pl0x?
Rosanna Profile Options #15

Favorable
Ambrosia Lvl.60
Tempest Reach (PVE)
High Elf Warrior
K-TERA made the announcement of changing to the F2P. J-TERA also made the announcement today.

NHN's announcement going F2P (You need a proxy to visit this site)

http://tera.hangame.co.jp/community/noticebbs.nhn?m=read&bbsid=875&docid=3622530

or

http://www.4gamer.net/games/048/G004803/20121226005/
Zdzisiu Profile Options #16

Hostile
Elz Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
High Elf Berserker
That is very sad news. It mean we will have this f*** P2W faster or later...
MegaMouseGW Profile Options #17

Hostile
Soltyrei Lvl.1
Tempest Reach (PVE)
Elin Lancer
This is my take on F2P games: most of them die off rather quickly as they move to the P2W model. Now yes I would be happy if Tera went F2P, but for me paying a subscription is not a deal breaker. I would rather see the sub price go down than see Tera go to the P2W model. Game publishers love theP2W due t the fact that it can bring in massive amounts of money to their banks, sometimes more than subscriptions will. Lowering the price of the sub, and making a cash shop that doesn't cater to the elitist or moneybag crowds would be better. Do not ruin a great game by screwing it up with P2W.
nebula87 Profile Options #18

What happened to K-Tera that it had to go F2P?
Were they really losing that many subs. Or was it that
the competition from Blade and Soul is giving them a run for their money?
Rosanna Profile Options #19

Favorable
Ambrosia Lvl.60
Tempest Reach (PVE)
High Elf Warrior
Kinrae on 12/26/2012, 12:23 AM - view
Aion made that shift to Free to play and it quickly went to hell.

They had no choice. I got a free 10 day welcome back campaign through the email (I think it was 1-2 months before AION went F2P) and the global populations were abysmal. The server capacity was at the time 7200. 2 servers during NA EST evening hours had around 300 people, while the other 2 had 500 people.

That constitutes only 22% capacity of ONE freaking server. They didn't have a choice... at all. What other choice did they have? The game practically flat-lined in the West. They had to go F2P or shut down. What 3rd option did they have that would make it worthwhile to keep the game operating with such low numbers.

This is the problem TERA E.U. and especially TERA JP are currently facing. Things are far worse in Japan, you get global populations in the double digits. What do you do when your global populations per server is less than 100, keep going P2P?
Zdzisiu Profile Options #20

Hostile
Elz Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
High Elf Berserker
nebula87 on 12/26/2012, 02:32 AM - view

the competition from Blade and Soul is giving them a run for their money?

I would not call this competition. NCsoft forced few BHS CEOs to leave company. Tera got censored, and content does not exist. All this law suits did not help it...