On the NHN Announcement in KR

Koroem Profile Options #21

Anyone who believes NA tera isn't going Free to play now is a clown. Can't wait to see EME start denying this or avoiding it for like 2 months before the f2p announcement finally comes.

I'm ok with free to play, but I'm not ok with pay to win, which will inevitably come. MW alk in cash shop? Cya. I won't play a game that gates content behind cash transactions like this. Already paid for the game and a sub. I'm not paying to gamble on a per use basis.
Edited by: Koroem over 1 year ago
Slubber Profile Options #22

Friendly
Zdravko Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
Aman Warrior
Koroem on 12/26/2012, 05:36 AM - view
Anyone who believes NA tera isn't going Free to play now is a clown. Can't wait to see EME start denying this or avoiding it for like 2 months before the f2p announcement finally comes.

I like how you posted the exact same thing in two threads.

We're not sure if it's going F2P or not just yet, i'm sure it will at some point but when is the actual quesion and the big thing we are debating here is not if it will go F2P but how it will go about it.

There's a lot of things that need to be addressed in terms of the cash shop(P2W garbage) and customer support.

If TERA NA goes F2P I don't want to see anything change, except the removal of the sub fee.
Edited by: Slubber over 1 year ago
Koroem Profile Options #23

Slubber on 12/26/2012, 05:39 AM - view

I like how you posted the exact same thing in two threads.

I posted there before I saw there was a more "official response" on the topic. I expanded on my thoughts here though. Not actively trolling threads or anything.
Edited by: Koroem over 1 year ago
Rosanna Profile Options #24

Favorable
Ambrosia Lvl.60
Tempest Reach (PVE)
High Elf Warrior
TERA EU made a recent response to this as well today.

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=133964

”The Korean version of TERA is going f2p which is the next big step for them. Please understand that it is too early right now to talk about this but we will have more information for you about the EU version in January.”

K-TERA and J-TERA announced going F2P today. From that official statement from EU it pretty much seems they will be announcing the "updated" model in January... since it is too early to talk about it now. The same could be said about our territory. I know there are still like 2 people still thinking if it is or if it isn't going F2P; it is going F2P.
LaJolla Profile Options #25

F2P pretty much means that you are asked to use real money to purchase ingame items that are necessary to continue competitively. That is the last thing I will do. Free to play means bye-bye for me, I'm afraid.
kilrnub Profile Options #26

Happy holidays everyone!

As for TERA this isn't anything new, we already knew that this wasn't a question of "if" but rather
'when" and if you don't agree then I'm sorry you , my friend, are in denial .

my guess is that it will happen when we hit the 1 year mark( some ppl bought 1 year subs lul) just me though !
Kaito Profile Options #27

Neutral
Sonika Lvl.60
Tempest Reach (PVE)
Elin Sorcerer
Even with the additions that NHN has released, the game does not have enough content to create a F2P and Sub based model (like SWtor is attempting)

I see this in part of a problem with BHS, I don't think they are offering the tools needed for the game to succeed and are putting the publishers in a bad spot. Unfortunately, I don't think BHS can come up with simple graphical content (i.e. costumes, weapon skins, mounts) to support a item mall that is cosmetic only. This leaves the "Pay to Win" model type item mall for the game.

EME is going to get caught up in this and it is sad to say, will be forever branded as a pay to win company.

So, unless BHS has been holding onto a lot of graphical content like what I listed above, or perhaps holding on to a bunch of emotes or dances, there is not enough outside the pay to win area to not go this route.
LaJolla Profile Options #28

If the NA version of Tera includes these updates Korea is giving to the F2P version, that will be stupendous. Sieges!! alliances!! OMG reasons to OWPVP.... that's the game we were looking for!!!!

Please please please do not make NA Tera go f2p
Tarq Profile Options #29

This game will no doubt eventually end up F2P some time in Q1 of 2013. We're months, not weeks, but months behind in patch notes and updates compared to kTERA. This includes nexus reductions, the T14 victor's set, another nexus price reduction, new mounts, 3v3s, and the Hellfire Pit dungeon.

It doesn't seem like they're keeping up with development whether it be due to lack of revenue from the NA servers or some other reasons. They would have no choice as the population keeps falling due to late releases in content patches (just look at everyone who quit or took a break "waiting" for 3v3s to come out)
Naoto Profile Options #30

Neutral
Envy Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
Elin Warrior
Tarq on 12/26/2012, 10:52 AM - view
This game will no doubt eventually end up F2P some time in Q1 of 2013. We're months, not weeks, but months behind in patch notes and updates compared to kTERA. This includes nexus reductions, the T14 victor's set, another nexus price reduction, new mounts, 3v3s, and the Hellfire Pit dungeon.

It doesn't seem like they're keeping up with development whether it be due to lack of revenue from the NA servers or some other reasons. They would have no choice as the population keeps falling due to late releases in content patches (just look at everyone who quit or took a break "waiting" for 3v3s to come out)

Not really, I would say maybe in a year but nothing soon, As in other threads of this nature I will list my supporting argument

nTera is making large amounts of money with its current model, where as kTera and jTera are steadily declining so a different model suits them (explained below)

1. with chronoscrolls, cosmetic items, and mounts. large amounts of money is being spent to resell these items for in game gold RMT essentially and EME is the profiteer.

2. subscriptions and age. Tera is less then a year old and still holds a good number of subscribers this combined with 2 means they are generating a very nice profit. well over the costs needed to maintain servers and a staff of 50.

3. content updates from BHS. Though BHS is using this chance to gather free to play members in the east. the content being pushed out further helps nTera maintain its playerbase and recruit more players. this combined with additional cosmetic's to be implemented and holidays means EME stands to make a large amount of revenue should this model continue through 2013.

though I believe we have reached an age where an MMO goes free to play after a certain lifespan I believe nTera has not reached such an area and will not be free to play until at the very least end of 2013 or early 2014. that is unless BHS keeps releasing content in which case they may even go longer
Edited by: Naoto over 1 year ago