On the NHN Announcement in KR

JerryBoyle Profile Options #31

Friendly
Terrin Lvl.60
Tempest Reach (PVE)
Castanic Archer
Tarq on 12/26/2012, 10:52 AM - view
This game will no doubt eventually end up F2P some time in Q1 of 2013. We're months, not weeks, but months behind in patch notes and updates compared to kTERA. This includes nexus reductions, the T14 victor's set, another nexus price reduction, new mounts, 3v3s, and the Hellfire Pit dungeon.

How at all is this a reason to switch business models? It no makes sense:( Korea switched yet they get content quickly..LOL

NA Tera likely isn't going to switch unless we'll receive a similar T-Cat coin system due to Chronoscrolls becoming useless in a F2P environment which is most of EME's money while also contorlling gold sellers. That's a business move that is highly risky for the NA audiences who adapted to Chronoscrolls already and this system is working really well. NA Tera is vastly different then any other territory in that regard so this should make NA Tera receive special treatment making it likely to be able to sustain the P2P model, possibly the only one able to.

Not too mention NA Tera is most likely the most profitable client now that Korea has switched to a F2P model. Guess we'll just wait and see.
Edited by: JerryBoyle over 1 year ago
Slubber Profile Options #32

Friendly
Zdravko Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
Aman Warrior
TERA has hacks, bots and cheats just a forewarning, when you go F2P expect those to appear everywhere.

Don't do it EME.
Edited by: Slubber over 1 year ago
Whoope Profile Options #33

JerryBoyle on 12/26/2012, 11:20 AM - view
Tarq on 12/26/2012, 10:52 AM
This game will no doubt eventually end up F2P some time in Q1 of 2013. We're months, not weeks, but months behind in patch notes and updates compared to kTERA. This includes nexus reductions, the T14 victor's set, another nexus price reduction, new mounts, 3v3s, and the Hellfire Pit dungeon.

How at all is this a reason to switch business models? It no makes sense:( Korea switched yet they get content quickly..LOL

Korean publisher NHN had saved up alot of content to release with the F2P model, it wasn't coincidental that all these new updates; 20v20 pvp, 10/20man raids, guild siege and a revamp of the old vanarch system came to just appear along with F2P, they had planned for a long time coming, they were saving the best updates that would lure the most amount of players that they would ever secure after the launch, giving people a reason to stay with the new model instead of leaving because they didn't want a model on their beloved TERA. I believe that's what we're heading for too I do see something happening in late Q1 early Q2 that will impact the current P2P model.

*Edit: I forgot to mention Korea are the main servers for TERA so ofcourse they get all the content when it gets made.
Edited by: Whoope over 1 year ago
JerryBoyle Profile Options #34

Friendly
Terrin Lvl.60
Tempest Reach (PVE)
Castanic Archer
Whoope on 12/26/2012, 12:25 PM - view
JerryBoyle on 12/26/2012, 11:20 AM
Tarq on 12/26/2012, 10:52 AM

Korean publisher NHN had saved up alot of content to release with the F2P model, it wasn't coincidental that all these new updates; 20v20 pvp, 10/20man raids, guild siege and a revamp of the old vanarch system came to just appear along with F2P, they had planned for a long time coming, they were saving the best updates that would lure the most amount of players that they would ever secure after the launch, giving people a reason to stay with the new model instead of leaving because they didn't want a model on their beloved TERA. I believe that's what we're heading for too I do see something happening in late Q1 early Q2 that will impact the current P2P model.

*Edit: I forgot to mention Korea are the main servers for TERA so ofcourse they get all the content when it gets made.

Did you not understand what I said?

Of course they would save content when switching business models. It would be stupid not to but to apply that to NA Tera as for why we don't have said content isn't logical. EME doesn't make content, BHS does because they make each build separately for the clients. BHS wouldn't hold onto content because we aren't F2P.

These changes can easily occur for a P2P game and have no toruble for adapting to it.
undeadkitty Profile Options #35

Minea on 12/25/2012, 07:30 PM - view
As you may have read today, NHN (the publisher for TERA in Korea) has decided to change TERA’s business model to be free. The industry has shifted in this direction and the Korean gaming market has always been on the forefront of this shift. NHN’s decisions are their own as is every territory that services TERA. TERA currently remains a subscription-based game in North America and Europe.

Regardless of the news from Korea, the good news is that TERA will continue to grow and improve with new game contents in North America, and all contents will be available for us should we decide to evaluate their use. As mentioned in A New Year for TERA, we will be following up in January with more information on the upcoming content including Crucible of Flame, an instance with scalable rewards and the new 3v3 battleground, Champion’s Skyring.

We know you are full of questions but that is all we have for now. Enjoy the holidays and look to January for more information – 2013 is going to be huge for us and we can’t wait to get started.

This is code for we are going free to play really soon, but don't want to say when so please don't cancel your subs.
Zdzisiu Profile Options #36

Hostile
Elz Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
High Elf Berserker
Whoope on 12/26/2012, 12:25 PM - view

If you are right, it means that is company of morons. This content would be able to safe NA and EU Tara. If this content would be released 3 months ago - merge of server would not be necessary. People leave game because was bored, only because of it.
Yamaxanadu Profile Options #37

Favorable
Cocoa.Bean Lvl.60
Mount Tyrannas (PVP)
Elin Lancer
It would be more difficult for us to switch to f2p because of things like chronoscrolls, excessively long subscription plans, and the Koreans already having a sort-of f2p model already that they can transition from. If EME plans to go f2p with Tera then there's nothing we can do to stop them, but there will surely be a lot of obstacles in their way.
Arkwright Profile Options #38

The mass denial in this thread.

It makes me smile so much...
JerryBoyle Profile Options #39

Friendly
Terrin Lvl.60
Tempest Reach (PVE)
Castanic Archer
Arkwright on 12/26/2012, 05:56 PM - view

I hope you realize it's not confirmed for us. In the random events that is life, you just got 10% added to your success of F2P.
Edited by: JerryBoyle over 1 year ago
Diver Profile Options #40

Arkwright on 12/26/2012, 05:56 PM - view

OMG Dah-ling! It's Kid-Schadenfreude in the flesh! Did someone drop some chum in the water or something? Looking forward to some vinegar in what would otherwise if quite the fine healthy salad of this thread.