So I've been playing since beta and I've tried out several classes. Most indepth I've played Lancer, Slayer, Warrior and Mystic (each up to about 20ish).
I was really enjoying Slayer until my group moved to a PvP server and we already had a few Slayers. So I figured I'd try Lancer. I found it brutally boring to solo. I realize this is a group game and I enjoy grouping but I really love soloing, I don't like basing my precious time to play around others being online.
That said I feel like a DPS class would be best for me, and I prefer melee. I would like to have some usefulness for the group and be sufficient in pvp. Would you veterans suggest Warrior, Slayer or Beserker. Of the 3 Berserk appeals the least to me visually but seems the most well rounded. Visually I enjoy the warrior the most, but so far gameplay wise I dig the slayer, it just seems less useful group wise.
So what say you lads, (or lassies)?
Warrior is an evasive tank / DPS. Incredibly hard to master since it relies more on skill; you have to dodge and run around while maintaining aggro. Warriors can DPS, but they have poor DPS when in comparison to a proper DPS class
Slayer is freaking awesome. Nuff said. However between that and a Berserker it would depend if you want to smash buttons or charge most of your attacks.
Most Tanks aka lancer are kicking Zerkers because of gear. It has happened so much on my Zerker the only instances i have done are guild runs, and those are far and few between even server pug groups the lancer refuses to take a zerker.
So don't roll a Zerker mines sitting at 47 and i've done maybe 9 instances total on him because i join and then find myself kicked before we even start.
I felt like playing warrior was similar to the combat in the Witcher 2, very skill based. I enjoy that challenge. What I want to avoid is the dull soloing that is the Lancer. I'd be up for trying Berserker I just think it's hard to get a accurate taste of the class in under 20 levels.
You say Warrior is poor at DPS? What is their niche then? I figured Leather Armor and being squishy would make their DPS potentially quite high?
I play all 3 of these also, heck...I have one of each class...but warrior is, by far, the most fun.
All those are great fun classes. The problem with Berserker is that he competes with Lancers (the only tank class for instances atm) for gear and he ends up being kicked most of the times. Berzerkers are also not favored because though they have huge spike dmg their mobility is pretty bad due to their slow attacks, and that in the end makes them not efficient against endgame bosses that tend to move constantly.
Slayers are agile and strong making them the favorite dps class for instances.
Warriors are also great dps, and on top of that they are also tanks, but can't apply for tanks on instance matching. Neither warriors or slayers compete with Lancer or Healers for gear and that's a huge plus for both.
If you want a huge hitter but slow guy who will probably have a hard life getting grups ndgmae go zerker. Otherwise its between the tank/dps warrior (but you will need very good skill to be an efficient tank as warrior) or the powerhouse slayer, also great for endgame instances where their stun mastery can save a wipe.
1. All 3 classes are fine. They do different things, however.
- The Slayer can dive deep on enemy lines, burst hard, and get out.
- Warriors are good to sit on enemy back lines with chain interrupts / staggers, and good DPS.
- Berserkers are generally poor for diving to the enemy backline. Instead they are generally better at protecting their own backline by smashing Slayers and Warriors that have already burned dodge rolls getting to the back line.
- Berserkers are generally immune to focus fire due to their block mechanic. Target switching to a Berserker generally doesn't work in an even situation.
2. This metagame, however, requires that the Berserker have a functioning group with them already. E.g., a Berserker requires a group to be highly effective. They are a group PvP class.
3. Warriors are the most survivable melee. They can escape a cluster[filtered] and get to a safezone better than the other 2 classes. They are the best solo PvP class because they can win most fights, and more importantly they are able to escape fights they are losing.
4. Berserkers are horrible at 1v1. While a good Berserker can win a 1v1, the actual issue is that a Berserker cannot chase down any class who runs for a safezone, and a Berserker who is at a disadvantage cannot run away from any class to the safezone. Unless, of course, you get a winning sequence of knockdowns and crits. GGrng.
1. All 3 classes are fine. Slayers have the most consistent high DPS. Warriors do a bit less DPS for the most part until they get highly geared (they have some good scaling mechanics).
2. Berserkers are the most difficult to play in PvE, but they are viable.
Thanks for all the great responses. I feel like the warrior will give me the greatest blend of solo-ability and durability in PvE and PvP and not be useless to a group.
I'll have to explore this class quite a bit more .All of these were great insights so I definitely appreciate it.