I've read a lot of articles about concerns over Battleground loot. Every MMORPG battleground system to date has been broken. It has always been about time and not about skill or participation. Which causes people to just leech and there hasn't been an effective system to punish the leeches either. Why not use an achievement system to distribute spendable points on PvP gear? If the developers eliminate Battleground leeching there will be more meaningful and interesting PvP for everyone.
HAIL TO THE SWARM....
Not sure how the system's gonna actually work, will let you know if I agree or disagree after I try them. ;3
How do you earn achievements? Time?
PvP gear has always been about a means for people who just want to PvP to be able to advance their character and not start losing to those who go out and PvE. Without PvP gear, people would start complaining that they have to PvE to stay competitive. With PvP gear, people complain that they have to grind out PvP gear and lose to those who have already spent the time doing so.
I think there are two related solutions:
1. Design gear to not factor into PvP damage calculations. I love this idea, but it means that you have to create some alternate reason to PvP (not for me, for people who need rewards). I think titles or cosmetic gear would do nicely, but maybe it's been proven otherwise.
2. Create instanced PvP where gear is normalized. People would still be able to grind gear for PvE/PvP with their respective methods, but arenas or some other competitive environment would level the playing field. Gear would still matter in OWPvP and whichever BGs weren't deemed competitive, like larger-scale Server v Server, perhaps.
Those are my two cents.
If there are to be rewards for PVP, especially in the form of gear, then the following needs to happen:
1. Battlegrounds need to provide little to no true material reward.
2. PvP Gear should NEVER get PvP stats.
3. The best rewards, particularly gear rewards, need to come from OWPvP encounters, such as GvG or Server V Server.
Personally, I think if they're going to reward PVP with material items, especially instanced PVP, it needs to provide something a player could get by spending a similar amount of time grinding an instance or killing BAMs. In otherwords, crafting and enchanting materials should be the most significant rewards. This ensures that players of both sides of the spectrum and every area between them are all equally involved in the economy of the game and in player advancement. The most important thing is to make sure both sides aren't arbitrarily split, requiring two separate grinds between pvE and PvP to advance your character down one or the other. The second most important thing is, especially in a game that wants to promote OWPvP, to ensure that any form of instanced PvP is the slowest and least reliable way to generate material rewards compared to any open world and otherwise non-instanced PVP.
Hi i am just going to copy and paste my post from an other thread similar to this one (http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/PvP-Gear-PvE-gear-and-BattleGrounds?page=5)
I agree with most of what is said on this thread, at least people that make sense and don't troll. I sincerly think that this game has a huge opportunity to become the next fun mmorpg out there. I just wanted to add my humble opinion and try to do a recap of what most of us agree on:
- PVP gear ruins pvp, from WoW to Rift we all know that its just unbalancing the game and not allowing to enjoy the PVP and PVE features beacause of the lack of time it takes to grind it.
- Personnaly, I am not against BGs BUT, they should not be able to give you ANY sort of gear but only "honor" like for exemple Titles, a rank (that would encourage competitive pvp)... etc. Again, they should encourage competitve PVP and not grinding gear to be able to OS the newbies. Also, I think it would good to encourage team vs team BGs and not only random solo Qing. If people really want a tengible reward for BGs then I think we should try to figure out a system that provides equivalent gear than PVEs (maybe with different skins) but with exact same stats. It seems a little hard to find a fair balance though, but Im not against the idea. And we should also try to figure out a balance between BGs and OWPVP.
- If you dedicate more time to pvp, then you should have more skills in pvp than a pve boy, no need to have better gear. I think that some people are just scared of being crushed by some other less pvp oriented players, personnaly i love pvp and like pve, but what I really like is challenge, not auto wining a fight beacause i have 10 times more resistance against players.
Anyway, I hope the devs are reading the forum. They have great mmo in their hands, i hope they will not transform it in an other Wow/rift/allmmorpgs-like. Keep it open world oriented and fun!
Lets keep that brainstorming effective and troll-free.
Glhf all, apologies for my aproximative english.
the only way to make Battlegrounds fair is to make a point system that gives you points/experience based on objectives completed in the battleground.
So ifs a death match give u more points for more kills/less deaths/damage dealt/damage taken.
If its capture the flag u get more points for capturing/defending flags.
So the more objective points u earn....the more BG points u earn.
Wins should be double BG points as losses.
But in order to get BG points/experience u must help complete objectives, no giving points to the idiots standing in the corner. This will also eliminate the people power leveling/gearing via BGs. Because they will actually have to play in order to get experience/BG points not just enter n then get on another character til its over